Monday, February 4, 2008


Happy anniversary. Not the good kind of anniversary but the 1st anniversary of my fall. Today you get the picture of my scar from the surgery to repair my humerus. In there are two plates and 11 screws. My bones should be fully healed by new. Looking back, I could never have imagined the road to recovery was so long. The first surgery with an external fixator for 10 days, the second surgery to fix the breaks (5 in all), the swelling, the roughly sixty therapy visits, the dreaded 8 hours a day on the elbow CPM machine for 2 months, the loss of use of my right hand to write or type normally, the orthopedist visits, the neurologist visits, the nasty tests on my nerves, and the hand specialist vists. Now my arm looks deformed but I can't see the scar unless I really have to look for it. Thankfully, I have a great husband to lean on, great parents to help with the kids and then to take care of me, baby sit me in the early days, cart me around to doctors, x-rays, therapy visits, to eat out and whatever else I needed, a great sister to hang out with, great friends to keep me company and cook for our family so Richard did not have to worry about that, and countless people I did not know to pray for me. So today, I sit here typing with one hand, writing that is barely legible, and enjoying life, enjoying my kids full time.






Today you get two pictures actually. I could not resist showing you this picture of Avery when we got home. Today was storytime/dance time at the library and and then lunch with my grandparents.

1 comment:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Awww. I feel the sentiment. Wish we hadn't kinda' lost touch back then as I could have been of more help. Or, maybe not with dragging two kids in tow. Let's not drift so far again. I think you look great and you are doing great. An, unexpected life change but I love your "outlook." Happy Tuesday.